1. Of primary importance is that elected officials acknowledge that
they are to serve citizens, not special interests. Will you support
the concept that citizens, not developers and others who seek financial
gain, come first and will you follow this concept in all your official
2. Will you seek to implement additional land use and transportation
planning measures to achieve an affordable and sustainable residential
3. Will you uphold the planning and zoning requirements of the 2003
Comp Plan, and in approving the forthcoming 2008 Comp Plan will
you oppose increases in the County’s total residential build-out
number, and oppose increases in residential densities for any zoning
category except for specific transit-oriented developments?
4. Will you oppose approval of any requested development and rezoning
application in which the LOS for any category of service specified
in the Comprehensive Plan would fall to “F” or its equivalent
if the proposed development is approved?
5. Will you support increasing the proffer guidelines for new residential
rezonings to the levels recommended by the county planning staff?
(From $31,719 per house to $51,113)
6. Will you seek to implement revitalization incentives for older
neighborhoods, including increased zoning enforcement?
7. Will you implement procedures and provide staff to fully enforce
zoning regulations and proffer commitments?
8. Will you seek to implement a County-wide plan to make parks and
open space for active and passive recreation resources, including
an extensive network of multi-purpose trails, readily available
to all residents?
9. Will you preserve the Prince William County Rural Crescent, as
described in the 2003 Prince William County Comprehensive Plan?
10. Will you commit to keeping public facilities, that would primarily
serve the development area, out of the Rural Crescent?
11. Will you support implementation of a Purchase of Developments
12. Will you oppose conversions of land planned or zoned for commercial
uses to residential uses?
13. Will you oppose increasing residential units in land zoned for
14. Will you support policies to preclude special tax relief for
out-of-county businesses that locate in Prince William County?
15. Will you allocate County transportation investments to projects
that improve transportation for existing residents (such as grade-separated
interchanges, signals, sidewalks, and turn lanes) rather than roads
that promote development access to undeveloped land?
16. Will you oppose VDOT transportation projects that increase development
pressures, such as the Western Transportation Corridor, and the
proposed western alignment of the Tri-County Parkway?
17. Will you work to reduce over-crowding of our public schools
and use of classroom trailers, as an essential ingredient to quality
education, maintaining property values and retaining the overall
quality of life in Prince William County?
18. Will you seek to implement a plan to protect the Occoquan Watershed
and Reservoir through better land use and septic field construction
and maintenance, rather than public works construction?
19. Will you continue to adopt policies and ordinances to protect
our historic and environmental resources including trees, water
recharge areas, flood plains, surface and ground water, steep slopes
20. Will you work with Prince William’s neighboring jurisdictions
to promote smart growth on a regional basis? (With smart growth
defined as the EPA 10 Principles of Smart Growth)
21. Will you oppose the Dominion Power proposal to build 120-foot
electric towers through Prince William County?